Thursday, January 16, 2025

Figures in the Landscape, The National Gallery.

 While I call this Landscape Blog, it is really about painting.I have found in painting the landscape something wants to reveal itself.











This coming forward is a figure, if a bush a rock or actual figure. The painting in Modern art itself became figure turned inside out literally. One could call that an idea.










This Katz has been here for a long time now. Im always happy to see it.

Alex said to me recently, I'm thinking of Stuart Davis-- or I'm unsure maybe he said I should think about him?










This post is sprawling to thoughts of a show I just saw at Mint Museum. You see I use these trips to put together some new idea. Southern Modern had a Jacob Lawrence and then reminded me of Horace Pippin I saw at Barnes. Pippin is a bit like Rousseau Picasso liked so.










This is the Lawrence, then two Pippins from the Barnes.













I think you can see the surface compositions in play here. Especially the use of Rugs.

There are a few more on my Facebook page.









This detail of a David Park shows he was already on this trail.


So the landscape is somewhat like the mind in that the ideas come forward in ideas, 


maybe a figure. 

This is the muse

 I chase. 

This metaphor. 

In 

"the landscape."



No comments:

Post a Comment

2026 Trip across Southern Route, from Florida to NM and California

 Never sure how these trips will turn out but I begin excited to see what experience they produce and what I can maybe use in my painting.