Wednesday, January 15, 2025

Philadelphia Museum of Art

 

Crazy to see these figures on the Philadelphia Museum Building after the Barnes.

They seem almost kitch to me-- I think there is some Greek subtlety missing.


Though they do have a singularity and completeness in the figure I look for, of course they are Greek.






The Philadelphia Bathers is not as good to me as the Barnes. It seems tame to me--  maybe a more obvious form or composition. 

I like its relation here to Maillol. They usually have something in the space juxtaposed. A few years ago a muse type painting of Marden really looked great.


















The Picabia here points to the direction of abstraction. I think it makes sense, the Duchamp furthers it. Marden's painting towards Pollock seems an end point to this cycle. I have felt we could go back and trace another cycle.

Anyway I'd like my paintings to be seen in this context.






No comments:

Post a Comment

2026 Trip across Southern Route, from Florida to NM and California

 Never sure how these trips will turn out but I begin excited to see what experience they produce and what I can maybe use in my painting.